Sweden delivers a pleasing mix of contradictions from dense forest and serene lakes to Arctic tundra with snow-peaked mountains and modern, stylish cities.
Perfectly located in northern Europe, Sweden has some of the best areas in the world to spot the northern lights in the winter, whilst the rivers, lakes and coastline provide scenic kayaking routes which pass fishing villages, amazing wildlife and stunning scenery.
Europe’s last true wilderness Sweden delivers a tranquil yet exciting setting for any holiday.
Area: 449,964 SQ KM
Currency: Swedish Krona
Best Time to Visit
Summer: May to August if you are looking for a Swedish summer adventure
Winter: December to March if you are searching for the northern lights
- Marvel at the majestic northern lights in Swedish Lapland
- Try the world famous waffles at Sweden’s highest Arctic mountain lodge
- Experiencing the world famous Christmas markets in Gothenburg
- Take a guided kayak tour through west Sweden’s lake district
- Spend an evening searching for wild beaver in its natural habitat
- Explore Stockholm by water and foot
- Spend a night in a Tepee on the banks of an idyllic Swedish lake
- Visit, or stay at, the original Ice Hotel
Food and Drink
The food and drink in Sweden is diverse with many modern international influences. A few traditional Swedish dishes to try include…
- ‘Sill och potatis’ – Pickled herring and new potatoes
- ‘Pytt i panna’ – fried diced potatoes, sausage and onion served with diced beetroot and a fried egg
- ‘Kötbullar och potatis’ – Swedish meatballs and potatoes
- ‘Janssons fretelse’ – baked potato, onion, cream and anchovy dish
- ‘Sürströmming’ – fermented herring which is really stinky and not for the faint hearted
When it comes to drinks, Swedes love…
- ‘kaffe’ - coffee which is done very well in Sweden
- ‘aquavit’ - a flavoured spirit flavoured from caraway or dill
- ‘öl’ – beer, it is well worth trying some local brews
Where to go and what to do
Interested in Sweden?
If you are interested in travelling to Sweden and would like to speak to one of our personal travel experts simply call +44 (0) 800 566 8901 or leave us a message through our Contact Us page. We can’t wait to help make your next dream holiday a reality.