Each and every day the world and the way in which we can travel around it changes. It is therefore really important to stay up to date regarding what the governments advice is with staying happy, healthy and safe abroad. The Foreign & Commonwealth Office and the National Travel Health Network and Centre have up-to-date information for countries across the globe including safety and security, local laws and customs and entry requirements. It also contains information for what to do in the event of natural disasters, political situations, health alerts and crime information.

The information needed for your travel is available on www.gov.uk/travelaware and you can also follow @FCOtravel and FCOtravel on Facebook for instant updates. For specific health news, required vaccinations and any other medial requirements for your destination you can visit www.travelhealthpro.org.uk – this is updated regularly as things can change quickly.

Before you depart you will need to check on the laws, customs and entry requirements of the country you are visiting and understand how they differ from home. You can check this here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

If you are travelling within Europe it is important that you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Check before departure that it has not expired and understand what this covers (this does not mean you have full travel insurance). You can get a free EHIC card from www.nhs.uk/ehic.

When travelling abroad you will need to ensure that you have the contact details of the local British Consulate in case of emergencies. A full and detailed list of where these can be found are at www.gov.uk/government/world/embassies. It is also important to familiarise yourself with what the consular staff are able (and unable) to help British Nationals with when travelling overseas. You can find more information on this here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-british-nationals-abroad-a-guide.

Finally, check that your passport is valid and complete with all emergency details filled in. Tell your family and friends where you are going and leave details of how they can contact you and ensure you have enough money with you and access to emergency funds should you need them. It is also advised by the FCO to make copies of your important travel documents and store them securely using a data storage site so you always have access.

The FCO advises to act responsibly, and be responsible for yourself when abroad.

Please note that if you are not a UK Citizen it is advised that you check your local government foreign travel office for the current advice on your travel destinations.